Monday, August 10, 2026

Ken Mishima



“Ken Mishima - ケン・ミシマ”, 305mm x 96mm x 45mm, July 2026.
三島由紀夫が感じていた「空虚」を考える。
もし現代に三島が生きていたら、今の日本をどのように思うだろうか?
日本国を憂い、嘆き、再び切腹するだろうか?
あるいは、私たち同様、承認欲求に身を任せ、Instagramに日々鍛えた肉体のセルフィを投稿しているかもしれない。

ポップな三島。
私がなぜそう思ったのか。

「三島由紀夫論」の著者・平野啓一郎氏と横尾忠則氏の対談で、横尾氏が語った三島との数々の逸話を聞いてからは、特にそう思うようになった。
氏が語った三島は、とても俗っぽく、人間臭かった。三島をちっとも神格化せず、それどころか彼との逸話を、ユーモラスに、そしてポップに語っていた。

それが大きなヒント(「薔薇刑」然り)となり、私も「ポップな三島」という世界線のもと、最大限の敬意を持って制作に臨んだ。
神格化された三島を、あえて俗世間に引きずり下ろし、三島の肉体美と自己演出を、現代のポップカルチャーの文脈に置き換えてみた。
それは、軽薄にすることではない。私が微塵もふざけていないことは、タトゥのデザインが証明してくれるはずだ。

しかし、正直に言えば、振り切れなかった部分もある。
信仰のように崇められている三島をモチーフに、こんな人形を作ることに戸惑い、恐れもあった。表現上、ついつい恐れ慄いて、遠慮してしまった。
そりゃそうだ。
今度日本に帰ったら、まだ読んでいない三島文学をごっそりフランスに買って帰ろうと思う。

日本の行く末を憂い続けた三島が、市ヶ谷駐屯地で自決する約四ヶ月前に、こう書いている。
1970年、産経新聞掲載の随筆「果たし得てゐない約束―私の中の二十五年」より一部抜粋:

「私はこれからの日本に大して希望を繋ぐことができない。このまま行ったら、日本はなくなってしまうのではないかという感を日増しに深くする。
日本は無くなって、その代わりに、無機的な、空っぽな、ニュートラルな、中間色の、富裕な、抜け目がない、ある経済的大国が極東の一角に残るのであろう。それでも良いと思っている人たちと、私は、口を聞く気にもなれなくなっているのである。」

Thinking about the “emptiness” Yukio Mishima felt.

If Mishima were alive today, what would he think of Japan?

Would he mourn Japan and commit seppuku again?

Or perhaps he’d post daily selfies of his trained body on Instagram, seeking approval like us.
A pop Mishima.

Why did I think so?
Tadanori Yokoo’s stories showed me a very human Mishima, which inspired me to create “A Pop Mishima” with the greatest respect:
bringing the deified Mishima down into the everyday world, reimagining his physical image and self-presentation through today’s pop culture.

Not to make him shallow. The tattoos prove I’m not joking. But honestly, I held back, afraid to make a doll of Mishima, revered almost like a god. Of course.

Four months before his death at Ichigaya Camp, Mishima wrote in 1970:

“I cannot pin any hope on the Japan of the future. Day by day, I feel more deeply that if things continue this way, ‘Japan’ might disappear. Japan will vanish, and in its place, an inorganic, empty, neutral, intermediate-colored, wealthy, and shrewd economic power will remain in a corner of the Far East. I have reached the point where I no longer even feel like talking to those who think that is fine.”

No comments: